The Institute of Nuclear & Radiological Sciences and Technology, Energy & Safety (INRASTES) is the largest Institute of the National Centre for Scientific Research “Demokritos” (NCSR “D”) in terms of infrastructure and the second largest in terms of number of personnel. INRASTES is a multidisciplinary research Institution pursuing basic, translational and applied research to address challenges of great scientific and socioeconomic impact in a broad spectrum of scientific and technological fields. With its highly qualified staff and large scale, unique nationwide facilities, INRASTES satisfies the necessary conditions and possesses the potential to achieve critical masses and direct synergies among the various labs and research groups under wide thematic areas creating significant growth prospects and bringing clear socio-economic benefits.
The Environmental Research Laboratory (EREL) of INRASTES is an established RTO combining complementary expertise in atmospheric research and environmental decision support systems with important research potential (awarded the largest FP7-REGPOT ENTEC for climate research and coordinating the H2020 project EU-CIRCLE). EREL follows an integrated R&D approach to environment and climate, contributing to environmental protection and sustainable development in regional and global terms. R&D in climate change and regional models, dynamical downscaling, prognostic – diagnostic meteorology and data assimilation, CFD modelling, decision support systems, dispersion of air pollutants, air quality, atmospheric aerosol and heavy metal pollution, integrated with advanced risk analysis and impact assessments are subjects of major research focus.
EREL has developed unparalleled in Greece expertise on the provision of climate services for the infrastructures, maritime sectors and disaster management through numerous RTD projects and participations in international fora. Additionally, the in-house seasonal forecasting models with a spatial resolution of 5km, generated on a biweekly basis, and the dynamic downscaling of climate projections on 5km are unique products of the lab. EREL has documented expertise in impact assessment models and tools for infrastructures. The team is actively involved in publishing economic and societal impacts of climate change.
Indicative R&D activities related to Climate Modelling studies:
• Global-Regional Climate Air Pollution Modeling System
• Regional Climate Model
• Short term Climatology Prediction Model (3-6 months)
• Statistical & dynamical Downscaling
• Environmental Impact Assessment of Extreme Events and Climate Change on:
– Society & Economy (tourism, agriculture)
– Energy Sector
– Assessment of extreme events (fires, floods, etc)
– Mitigation / Adaptation and Disaster Reduction
– Risk and Safety Analysis of Complex Systems
Coordination and participation in EU and national projects relative to XENIOS.
• H2020 EU-CIRCLE: Pan-European framework for strengthening Critical Infrastructure resilience to climate change (H2020 – 653824 http://www.eu-circle.eu/), 2015-2018
• ERANET-Cofund action: ERA4CS- ERANET for Climate Services, Grant Agreement: N° 690462, Appointed Member in the In-Kind Management Board Committee, 2016-2020
• BigDataEurope “Integrating Big Data, Software and Communities for Addressing Europe’s Societal Challenges” ICT-15-2014. Grant Agreement no: 644564, 2014-2016
• IMAGES: Implementation of an RN emergency system in Eastern Mediterranean (HOME/2011/ISEC/AG/CBRN/4000002163), 2012-2015
• REGPOT ENTEC- Enhancing the Capacity for Environmental Technology and Climate Research, FP7- Coordination and support actions (Supporting), Grant Agreement nu: 316173, 2013-2015
• ARGOS: Advanced pRotection of critical buidinGs by Overall anticipating System (FP7 313217) 1/1/2014-31/12/2015
• ACRITAS: Advanced Coordination CenteR Information Technologies & Applications for Border Surveillance (GSRT Cooperation 11SYN_9_121) – 1/1/2014-30/10/2015
• Climate Change Impact Study of climate change and atmospheric pollution in Greece: evaluation of their impact on environmental and socio-economic future changes at local scale (GSRT, 09-SYN31-667, 2011-2014)
• CONOPS: Development & Demonstration of management plans against the climate change enhanced-invasive mosquitoes in S. Europe (EUROPEAN COMMISSION ENVIRONMENT/LIFE), 2013-2017
• COST Action “Earth System Science and Environmental Management; COST Action ES1102, 2011-2015.
• PERL – Enhancing the Research Potential of the NCSR “Demokritos” Environmental Research Laboratory in the European, National and Regional Research Areas, FP7 Coordination and support action, Grand Agreement no 229773 (2009-2012)
• AEOLOS Assessment of Impact of SF6 and PFCs Reservoir Tracers On Global Warming (EC ENK6-CT-2001-00501) (1/11/2001-31/10/2004)
• BOND Biogenic Aerosols and Air Quality in the Mediterranean Area (EC EVK2-CT-2001-00107) (1/11/2001-31/10/2004)
• OSCAR – Optimised Expert System for Conducting Environmental Assessment of Urban Road Traffic (EVK4-CT-2002-00083), 2002-2005
• ΕΠΑΝ-Μ4.3  Improving Urban Air Quality Through Traffic Interventions (Greek-Romanian S+T cooperation), GSRT, 2000-2002
• IMPRESAREO- Improving the spatial resolution of air emission inventories using earth observation data (EC ENV4-CT98-0752) (1/11/98- 31/7/2001)
• ΓΓΕΤ 97ΕΛ-77 Representation of advanced prediction methods for atmospheric quality in areas with complex topography and geometry of buildings and traffic roads (Grant for Expatriated Greek Researchers) (2/1/1999-31/12/2001)
High Performace Computer Cluster with 96 nodes equipped with 32GB of RAM each (total of 3TB of RAM) and intel XEON E3 CPUs with 45.5 TFlops theoretical performance in single precision calculations.