The Center for Security Studies (KEMEA) has been established by the Law 3387/2005 as the Hellenic Ministry’s of Public Order and Citizen Protection think tank on security policies.
KEMEA is supervised by the Minister of Public Order and Citizen Protection and it is a scientific, consulting and research agency, whose purpose is to conduct theoretical and applied research and to perform studies, particularly at the strategic level, on security policies. In 2011, KEMEA was appointed by Presidential Decree No39 (06.05.2011), as the “National Contact Point” for the protection of European Critical infrastructures (ECIs) – “ECIP contact point” – following the implementation of the 2008/114/EC Directive of the European Council of December 8th 2008 “regarding the definition and designation of the European Critical infrastructures and the assessment of the need to improve the protection of such infrastructures”.
KEMEA is authorized to provide professional certification through examinations (in cooperation with the National Organization for the Certification of Qualifications and Vocational Guidance-EOPPEP no 3200/09−02/2012) to Private Security personnel.
KEMEA represented the Hellenic Government to the European Research and Innovation Forum (ESRIF) of the European Commission (EC) and is a Member to the Board of Directors of the European Organization for Security (EOS). KEMEA is also successfully participating in many funded Projects by the EC and the European Space Agency (ESA).
Research and other activities
In order to fulfill its mission, KEMEA:
- Implements research projects and studies on homeland security relating to the Ministry of Public Order and Citizen Protection and its associated agencies as well as other foreign organisations.
- Designs and carries out research projects as a representative of the Ministry of Public Order and Citizen Protection’s subordinate organisations, on behalf of or in co-operation with respective EU, other state or international organisations according to the relevant rules and procedures.
- Develops collaborations on a national and international level with organisations and agencies, research and education centers and foundations, social, academic and productive Bodies, public and private, as well as NGOs.
- Studies criminality as a phenomenon along with its qualitative and quantitative trends in Greece as well as its geographic distribution. Additionally, KEMEA examines methods and practices which can help in the implementation of effective anti-crime policies.
- Makes suggestions on the harmonisation of preventive and anti-crime measures with established constitutional principles, personal and civil rights, lawfulness and the respect of the value of individuals.
- Monitors and studies the technological advancements of security systems and evaluates breakthroughs achieved.
- Makes suggestions on the exploitation of the know-how it possesses.
- Supports cross-border collaborations procedures.
- Organises and conducts conventions, publishes research and general findings of scientific interest, conducts educational seminars, provides certified training on subjects pertaining to security and also designs and conducts certified studies on such subjects.
- Performs various activities that pertain to the accomplishment of its goals.
- Is a Certification body regarding procedures, studies, security plans, of various authorities and entities of the Public and Private Sector.
Coordination of and participation in respective research projects
ΚΕ.ΜΕ.Α. succesfully participates in several European funded Research Projects and monitors – throught its active participation – all the latest developements in the security sector evaluating any new achievements. Research Projects related to XENIOS includes the following:
- EU-CIRCLE- Pan-European framework for strengthening Critical Infrastructure resilience to climate change (H2020 – 653824)
- ARGOS-Advanced pRotection of critical buidinGs by Overall anticipating System (FP7 313217)
- ACRITAS – Advanced Coordination CenteR Information Technologies & Applications for Border Surveillance (ΓΓΕΤ 11ΣΥΝ_9_1207)
- FERMIS- Σύστημα Απομακρυσμένης Διαχείρισης Γεγονότων Φωτιάς (ΓΓΕΤ ISR_2898)
- ESS – Emergency Support System (FP7- 217951)
- CRESCENDO – Coordination action on Risks, Evolution of threatS and context assessment by an Enlarged Network for R&D rOadmap (FP7- 218026)
- ACRIMAS – Aftermath Crisis Management System-of-systems Demonstration (FP7-261669).
- AIRBEAM – AIRBorne information for Emergency situation. (FP7- 261769)
- DARIUS- Deployable SAR Integrated Chain with Unmanned Systems (FP7- 284851)
- PREFER – Space-based Information Support to Prevention and REcovery of Forest Fires Emergency in the MediteRranean Area (FP7- 312931)
- EWISA: Early Warning For Increased Situational Awareness (FP7- 608174)
- PREDICATE: PREventing Disasters by CApitalizing on unmanned aerial systems Technology (ECHO/SUB/2015/713851/PREV29)
KEMEA respective equipment
KEMEA owns the following UAS equipment, that is involved in several projects and studies, for analysis and assessment of a ROI, plus validation, evaluation and demonstration purposes of a research solution:
- 1x Matrice 210RTK with X5s, Z30 and XT2 payloads,
- 2x Matrice 210v2 with X5s, Z30 and XT2 payloads,
- 2x Mavic Platinum,
- 3x Mavic enterprise dual,
- 1x Spark
A detailed description of the models is presented below.
M210 RTK, is a 643mm diameter quadcopter Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) which weighs about 4,8kg with a maximum weight flight of 6.14kg, maximum flight duration of 32min and a maximum flight range of 8km. It has a Real Time Kinematic (RTK) module. RTK is a satellite navigation technique used to improve the accuracy of position data from satellite positioning systems (Global Satellite Systems, GNSS, BeiDou, providing precision in centimeters. The above UAV is suitable for photogrammetry, topographical plans, digital background creation, firefight missions, HazMat identification, search and rescue actions, risk assessment, CI inspection, border surveillance etc. It can fly and land easily (automatically or manually) from any area. Its high-performance engines combine with 17-inch propellers in order to ensure steady flight even in strong winds. In addition, the dual power system automatically heats the batteries when flying at temperatures below zero, while a closed design ensures weather and water resistance (IP43) so it can fly in a wide range of situations. It also has the ability to carry and use two cameras simultaneously, or one upward-facing camera. The dual gimbal configuration unlocks 5 different combinations. An FPV camera is built in for navigating, including models capable of thermal imaging, high-definition video and zooming for detail. Its foldable body, plus removable batteries, propellers and landing gear, make it easy to store and transport in a case.
M210 v2, is a 643mm diameter quadcopter UAV which weighs about 4,8kg with a maximum weight flight of 6.14kg and has a maximum flight duration of 32min and a maximum flight range of 8km. The above UAV is suitable for photogrammetry, topographical plans, digital background creation, firefight missions, HazMat identification, search and rescue actions, risk assessment, CI inspection, border surveillance etc. It can fly and land easily (automatically or manually) from any area. Its high-performance engines combine with 17-inch propellers in order to ensure steady flight in strong winds. In addition, the dual power system automatically heats the batteries when flying at temperatures below zero, while a closed design ensures weather and water resistance (IP43) so it can fly in a wide range of situations. It also has the ability to carry and use two cameras simultaneously, or one upward-facing camera. The dual gimbal configuration unlocks 5 different combinations. An FPV camera for navigating is built in, including models capable of thermal imaging, high-definition video and zooming for detail. Its foldable body, plus removable batteries, propellers and landing gear, make it easy to store and transport in a case.
The aforementioned Matrice models, can be combined with the following payloads: i) X5S electrooptical sensor (day camera), ideal for 20.8MP photogrammetry and Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm / 1.8 lens ii) Zenmuse Z30 electrooptical sensor (day camera), with 30x optical zoom and 2.13 resolution and iii) a dual day / thermal XT2 sensor where the thermal sensor has 640×510 resolution and 30Hz full frame rates.
Mavic pro Platinum, is a 335mm diameter quadcopter UAV, electrically driven, with a total weight of 743g and a flight duration of 30min. This UAV has an electromagnetic day sensor: 1 / 2.3 “(CMOS), 12.35 Megapixel and a FOV 78.8 °, 26 mm lens. Its camera is supported on a 3-axis base (pitch, roll, yaw) for greater stability and accuracy, allowing Pitch motion: -90 ° to + 30 ° and Roll: 0 ° or 90 ° (horizontal and vertical) degrees in shooting. It has an Ocusync controller with 1080p / 720p resolution and a live feed of up to 7km (this distance is noticeably reduced due to the many interferences that exist).
Mavic 2 Enterprise dual, is a 354mm diagonal, quadcopter, electrically driven, weighing 899g with a maximum flight weight of 1100g and a flight duration of 31 minutes. Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual has many display modes: FLIR MSX, infrared and RGB.
Flight autonomy provides omnidirectional obstacle control (sensing2), an advanced detection system comprised of 8 high resolution optical sensors and 2 infrared sensors located on the sides of the aircraft. The result is a powerful set of sensors that determine the relative speed and distance between the aircraft and an object so that it can fly and float with more stability over a wide range of open and complex environments. This makes it an imaging unit capable of adapting to any mission required. Mavic 2 Enterprise is equipped with various accessories such as the M2E Spotlight, the M2E Speaker and the M2E Beacon. It communicates with staff on the ground, suspects or survivors with the Mavic 2 Enterprise speaker and allows the reproduction of alerts or voice calls in real time. With Mavic 2 Enterprise Spotlight, it illuminates low-light areas for up to 30 meters, and with the Mavic 2 Enterprise Beacon flashing strobe it is visible for up to three miles. Also, advanced System3 pilot assistance allows the drone to cleverly detect objects and movement and to easily fly around or over obstacles, especially in narrow spaces.
Spark, is a small-scale quadcopter UAV that features all DJI technologies. It has a maximum flight duration of 16min, it is 170mm in diameter and weighs 300g. It features a 1-2/3” CMOS and FOV 81.9 °, 25 m optical sensor, enabling video and photo capture at 12MP and supports a camera on the 2-axis Gimbal, giving it more stability and precision. It features Gesture mode where it can be signalled to move or come closer with a wave of the hand. It also features TapFly, Active Track and Auto Return Home with built-in GPS. Spark is suitable for small flights. It operates in lulling conditions, with great flexibility in indoor and confined spaces. Finally, it is easy to carry.